Sunday, December 14, 2008

A man, his son and a snow shovel

I would like to share something that happened to me last weekend that I have to tell you about. It was about 2 o'clock on a Saturday afternoon. I had not been outside to shovel the snow yet and overnight we got a three-inch fresh supply of the white stuff. I was sitting with my 75 year-old mother watching TV when we heard a knock at the door. My mother answered. It was a man, about 30 years old with his son who looked to be about 10 years old asking if we would be interested in the two of them shoveling our snow. My mother politely declined and they went on their way.

I didn't have to think about it for too long before I realized what was going on. This man had most likely lost his job and they were forced to do this to make ends meet. Now mind you, I have nothing against working for a Dollar but it did remind me of the stories about people during the Great Depression selling apples on street corners. In order for all of you out there to understand where I am coming from, I have to tell you a little bit about the history of the area which I live.

I live on the far South side of Chicago less then a ten minute walk from a major industrial area. This area at one time was one of the largest in the United States if not the world! The manufacturing that took place here was so crucial to the war effort that back in the 1940's the Roosevelt administration took Winston Churchill and Charles De Gaulle on a war time tour of the factories. Churchill after seeing the industrial capacity said that he was greatly impressed and encouraged!! Not many people around here know that. We just took it for granted that all the factories and the jobs that came with them would always be here.

Johnson and Johnson, Continental Can, Turtle wax, Bethlehem Steel, 3M, Miles Laboratories, Dodge, Borden ( Cracker Jack was made here) Lever Brothers were just a few. The jobs have been gradually leaving us for about thirty years now but in the last seven years or so they have REALLY left here. Now there is virtually nothing left as the industrial park is about ninety percent vacant.

Is this what America has come to? I know that much of this is due to changes in the economy and certain trends that could not be forseen but how much of this is because of high taxes, government polices which encourage companies to move over seas, corporte greed, etc...

About the man, his son and the snow shovel. I hope that we have a lot of snow this Winter because I am very afraid that things in this county are going to get much, much worse.


Don R. (red dog63)

No comments: